I received a beautiful 8-inch cast iron pan from FINEX. You might have seen a few images on my Instagram feed using the pan. I’ve been breaking it in so I could do a photo shoot with it. I am so excited to share this brand of cast iron products with you along with this yummy Skillet Cranberry Vanilla Buckle recipe.
The recipe I used is from Seasons & Suppers blog. I was looking for the perfect fall recipe that involved a cast iron pan and this recipe came to my attention. I wanted deep red colors and the cranberries produced that beautiful color plus they are festive. I don’t take any credit for the recipe, just the photos.
Skillet Cranberry Vanilla Buckle Recipe:
- For the topping:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- For the cake:
- 1 3/4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 granulated sugar
- optional zest of 1/2 an orange (I used 1/4 lemon)
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen (I used fresh)
- To make the topping: combine the flour, white and brown sugars, salt, and butter in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is the texture of coarse crumbs. Drizzle the vanilla over the mixture and either pulse briefly to distribute the vanilla. (If you don’t have a processor, you can do this by hand by cutting the butter into the dry ingredients). Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter an 8-inch cast-iron skillet.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a handheld mixer or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar, and orange zest together on medium-high speed for 3 to 5 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Add in the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the sour cream in two additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Fold in 1 cup of the cranberries. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared skillet.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup cranberries evenly over the top of the cake batter, then sprinkle the crumb topping over the cranberries. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until lightly golden and firm on top. (Timing will depend on the size of your skillet. My cake took 60 minutes. If your skillet is a bit larger, your cake may take less time. Check often near the end of cooking).
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 60 min | Total time: 1 hour 15 min
It’s delicious! The cake is not super sweet so it makes for a wonderful brunch dish. We all know cranberry and orange are a perfect pair so be sure to have a mimosa with this treat. It could also be served as a dessert, try it à la mode.
“FINEX Cast Iron Cookware Company is a small team of Portland-based perfectionists dedicated to making heirloom quality cast iron cookware in the USA. Our work is inspired by smooth vintage American cast iron skillets but designed for today.
That’s why we polish our smooth easy-release cook surfaces to leave more food on your plate and less in the pan. It’s why our castings are thicker to optimize modern searing techniques and why we add ergonomic spring handles that stay cooler.
Every FINEX is made by hand to exacting standards from premium American cast iron, polished stainless steel and brass and then carefully hand seasoned the old-fashioned way with natural organic flax seed oil before it leaves our workshop.
We believe in heirloom quality cookware and the cooking traditions and stories it can hold. We would love nothing more than a place in your family’s kitchen as you create your own flavors, laughter and conversations – one meal at a time.” -FINEX Website
FINEX cast iron products are good forever and they will gladly replace any product that fails due to honest use. For those that live in Portland, I encourage you to check ou this local brand. Visit their shop in the NW 23rd Industrial area; 2236 NW 21st Ave. Portland, OR 97209. If you don’t live in Portland you can order these beautiful products through their online shop. If you have a food lover in your family, believe me, they would love one of these pans for Christmas.